Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Do you realize what this means?

So, it's been an interesting week.

First and most importantly, I had been having some kidney issues since March (not pregnancy related at all). These issues turned my pregnancy into a high-risk pregnancy. My nephrologist was hoping to treat the problem as early as possible in the pregnancy as most of the associated complications wouldn't come up until the third trimester. He figured it would take 2-3 weeks to respond to treatment. I began the drugs last Wednesday, and as of this Wednesday, I'm symptom-free!! This is a very good thing as it means I can get off the drugs, and the complications we were concerned about probably won't even be an issue. So, that's a relief. Now, because I responded so quickly to the treatment, they want to taper me off the drugs, so it'll take another 3 weeks until I'm drug-free, but at least the dose is decreasing and I'm making progress.

Earlier this week, I had a shocking realization. Obviously, I knew I was pregnant, I'm really excited about being pregnant. But it just hit me that this means we're going to have a baby. That's TERRIFYING!!!! Now, my parents did explain the birds & the bees to me, so I'm not quite sure why it's taken me almost two months to put together the fact that me being pregnant will lead to me having a baby, but it did. Now that I've put two and two together, I'm panicing a little. We'll just blame it on the hormones! I think part of what freaked me out is I did a little math, and we're at 16 weeks, which is 40% of the way there, that's almost half...eeek!

We have a book that gives us week to week updates on our baby. This week, our baby started to get the swirls and creases that will form his/her finger prints. How cool is that? Our baby is still so tiny, but already has so many things that make him/her unique and special.

Steffan has been working his butt off all week on the house. We've moved the office downstairs, so that the room that was the office can be turned into a nursery. We're also changing around the guest room. I think we might get that done this weekend! At first I didn't like the idea of having the office downstairs, but now that it's all set up, it's actually a really nice room.

I've never been good at eating fruits and vegetables, so I was a little worried about my eating habits while I was pregnant, but I've been doing really good. It helps that I don't keep cookies in the house! Steffan's been great, he cuts up my apples for me! For some reason munching on apple slices while you're watching T.V. is a lot more appealing than eating a whole apple. I think I'm going to double our grocery budget though, I'm eating soooo much! But, at least now, the nausea's gone.

Well, this turned into another random, rambling post, but it had been almost a week, I had to get SOMETHING up here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait till you get cravings Karm. I remember I craved watermelon in the middle winter with Alejandro and Aiden.