Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The First Purchases

When I first got pregnant, I didn't want to buy anything baby-related, because I was paranoid that buying anything too early would jinx things. Well, now that we're past the halfway mark, it's time to start shopping. Of course, it's not that easy, first you have to survive the "hormone-induced-freak-out". I woke up Saturday morning in an absolute panic - Do you realize if we had this baby today, we'd have to bring the baby home naked and it would have to sleep on the bare floor?!?! Now, in an admittedly much more sane state of mind, I realize if we had this baby today, we'd have bigger things to think about than baby clothes!!

So, Saturday, Steffan was a really trooper and we shopped all over Calgary. We looked at flooring, furniture, mouldings, drapes, etc. So, what was our first purchase, considering we still need all the supplies to redo the entire room from the floor up? Well, what empty room is complete without a lovely set of drapes??Originally we were going to find fabric and I was going to sew the drapes myself. (Those of you who know me can stop laughing now...I have sewn window coverings before...in fact, some of my work is still displayed in select locations!) But,$25 for a pattern that we loved, (not too boy-ish, not too girl-ish, yet doesn't scream gender-neutral) is cheap compared to the cost, time, and frustration that my creations would entail.

The astute readers among you will have noticed that the title of this post was "The First PurchaseS" and I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat waiting for the rest of our shopping extravaganza to be revealed to you! Well, our baby may still come home naked, as we have yet to purchase any clothes, but at least the baby will be wrapped in a snuggly soft blanket that matches the drapes.

We've decided what to put on the floors, but we're waiting til January to rip out the carpet and lay down the laminate. We've also decided to paint the bottom half of the walls green, put up chair rail moulding, and do cream on top. We'll also paint the dresser and nightstand in fun colors to match the drapes. So, slowly, but surely it's coming together...good thing we still have 123 days to go!!

No comments: