Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thanksgiving (Better Late Than Never)


On Sunday morning, my baby girl fell asleep in my arms for the first time in months. As good as it felt, and as peaceful as that moment was, I’m grateful that it doesn’t happen often, because that means my daughter is good at sleeping on her own in her own bed.

I’m grateful for the clothes I pull out of her drawers that are too small that she hasn’t even gotten a chance to wear because it means that my daughter is healthy and growing like a weed and that we are blessed with more than we need for her.

The alarm went off too early this morning, but I am grateful because it means I have a job to go to where I earn a paycheque that will pay our bills and allow my husband to be the one at home raising the most precious thing in our lives.

On the weekend I tripped over a toy, but I am grateful because it means my daughter has lots of things to play with.

My daughter is still not sleeping through the night, she still wakes up twice to eat, but, I am grateful because it means that she is eating and growing.

Our lives are very different now than they were last Thanksgiving. A year ago, we were just telling people about this bundle of joy that was about to invade our lives. We were talking about how our lives were going to change, but we were so wrong in so many ways. Our lives have changed, turned upside down really, but we are having so much fun watching our little girl who was so small and fragile turn into a little person.

In just the last week, she’s become so much more mobile. She’s scooching all over and rolling like a little log. She’s still not crawling, but she’s getting close. If you hold her hands, she’ll walk all over the house with you. Whenever she’s working to get to a toy that’s just out of reach or to get some food into her mouth, she gets this look of intense focus on her face that is just hysterical. She’s already such a determined and stubborn little girl. (I can’t imagine where she got that from!!) The changes are so amazing to watch.

I have so much to be thankful for this year, but mostly I am grateful that my little family is together and healthy. We laugh together everyday, and as long as the three of us can sit in the middle of the chaos and laugh, it’s a good day at our house! The best part of my day is coming home to Caitlyn’s chubby little cheeks. She usually lets out a big laugh when she first sees me, how can anything else matter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karmyn, very well written! Thanks for doing this - I always enjoy reading a new post from you. I really like the top picture too - the light, the colors, the expression on her face - beautiful!